SDGs Summer Camp for College Students
Since the adoption of SDGs, the Korean Government requested UNOSD’s support in raising awareness for the SDGs. Specifically, there was a request for developing partnership activities for the young generation in collaboration with Yonsei University at the 2016 Steering Committee of UNOSD. The more the youth understand the content and the complexities of SDGs, the better they will be able to promote sustainable development as global citizens. Consequently, this summer camp will focus on how these goals touch upon the three dimensions of development -economic, social and environmental, and how each student’s interest fits with one or more of these goals.
With this backdrop, this year’s SDGs summer camp for college students will be hosted by UNOSD in collaboration with Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Korea (ROK), Yonsei University and Incheon National University. The summer camp is designed to promote SDGs awareness and global citizenship among the youth of ROK by providing the platform to learn and share ideas and experiences about the SDGs, and to promote their engagement in SDGs dialogues reflecting on the current Korean circumstances.
- Mr. Dongjin Kim (Mayor, Tongyeong city)
- Ms. Eunhae Jeong (Senior Development Management Expert, UNOSD)
- Ms. Meehyun Chung (Professor, Yonsei University)
- Mr. Michael Manning (Visiting Professor, Incheon National University)
- Ms. Guihye Lee (Executive Director, RCE Tongyeong)
Day 1 (July 17, 2017)
Session 1: Overview of Progress towards the Agenda 2030 and the SDGs and the current status of SDGs’ implementation
- "Sustainable Development Goals" - Ms. Eunhae Jeong (Senior Development Management Expert, UNOSD)
Session 2: Towards Global Sustainable Development and the Role of the Youth Community
- "The Role of Youth in the Implementationof the SDGs" - Ms. Semee Yoon (Assistant Professor, Sustainable Development and Cooperation, Underwood International College, Yonsei University)
Day 2 (July 18, 2017)
Session 3: Thematic presentations (Goal 6 and Goal 8) and discussion
- Theme 1: Implementing Agenda 2030 for Clean Water and Sanitation (SDG 6) in the Republic of Korea - Ms. Hyunjung Park (Vice-director, International Cooperation Institute for Climate Change Action)
- Theme 2: Implementing Agenda 2030 for Decent Work and Economic Growth (SDG 8): Sustainable Tourism and National Heritages in the Republic of Korea - Ms. Sunmoon Jang (Root Impact Director - Local/City Development)
Day 3 (July 19, 2017)
Session 4: Group Presentations & Discussions - The Role and Action Plans of Youth Community in Implementing SDGs in the Republic of Korea
- "13. Climate Action" - Yonsei University Cavalier
- "SDG 8. Decent Work and Employment" - Incheon National University Tree
- "Yellow Dust Rangers" - Incheon National University Team 22
- "Sustainable Cities and Communities" - Yonsei University E.G.O.
- "Green Big" - Incheon National University Green Big
- "Well Being.Health.Youth" - Incheon National University W.H.Y.
- Yonsei University Blue Ocean
Ms. Eunhae Jeong (Senior Development Management Expert, UNOSD)
You can find summer camp pictures here.